Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dear Dad...

It was 5 years ago yesterday that you left us. You are missed. I trust that you are doing much better than when we last talked. I thought I would bring you up to speed on how everyone is doing.


Sharon and I have moved to Shoreline. It's really proving to be a nice location. Sharon has a great job that's a whole 8 blocks from home. We struggle from time to time but we love more. We had Mom over for dinner a couple weeks ago. It was nice. Sharon is getting to spend more time with her daughters and TT. That little one has really grown up a lot. We're very proud of her. Heather is struggling with MS and a burgeoning teenager. That teenage thing is quite the chore. April and Jamie both have gotten married. Both men are good guys. All three girls are becoming wonderful women.


Mom is well, but a little wily. She has been traveling some. Two trips to the east coast with Brian, Mariner's spring break (can you believe that?), and a cruise to Alaska with Auntie Sis. She had a great time. I helped her shop for a new car a few years back. Probably not your favorite, it has 4 doors and is a Toyota. I had to do it. I wanted her to have a good and dependable car. I think she's enjoying it. She put a whole 19,000 on it in the last 3 years. Crazy women! Thanks for taking such great care of her. You would be very impressed with all that she's been able to do on her own.


Rhonda is doing well (still a punk). Randy is taking good care of her when he's not driving her a little nuts. Her family keeps growing up. Jen is married and living in Alaska (crazy cold). Her husband (Jake) is serving our country in Iraq today. All our prayers are with him for safety and victory. The world and the country have gone a little crazy of late. Ryan has been driving your Explorer and I heard last night that he was hit and it was totaled. Mom told me Ryan was really upset about your truck, but we both understand that you wouldn't be to panicked about a truck but glad to know he was okay. He is, other than he's still living at home (my opinion) doing quite well. He's grown up to be a very nice young man. You would be very proud of him. I wish you were her to talk some sense into my little sister about this Obama dude. I'm sure you would have quite a few things to say to her (it would be fun to watch).


Rebecca's married now. She married a Jake too. Crazy cousins. He's a good guy. He's following in some of your footsteps by working and going to school. He's attending Seattle University (where Rebecca's working) where he is working on a degree in engineering. Getting great grades like you did. You would be impressed, I know I am. Rebecca lost 107 pounds last year and has joined me in my new found love of running. She's a this father's joy, like Rose and Rhonda are for you.

Adam is becoming a master brewer. He makes all types of beer. Everyone tells me it taste great. I wouldn't know, to me the stuff stinks. He's been working at KDL Hardware for quite a while and kicking sales butt. His dad is very proud and I'm certain you'd be proud too. I play scrabble with both Rebecca and Adam all day long on the internet. Good fun. You would have really enjoyed playing with them.

Jeremy has settled in Kent and is working as a warehouseman moving tons and tons of sprinkler pipe all day long. He's got such a great work ethic. You would be thrilled with his desire to put in a honest days work. He inspires me. My kids fill me with great love, I hope I gave some of that to you before you left.

We lost Rose last year, but you already know that. Are you still kicking her but at cribbage? I'm sure you are. Have you gotten her to take up golf? Next time you chat with her tell her that I'm still a little angry with her, but that I love and miss her. Also let her know that even with her new heavenly body I can still kick her butt! No problem.

Brain and Summer seem to be doing well. Brian is in Portland, such a shame. Seattle's loss, but maybe someday he will find his way back to the straight and narrow. Summer makes me smile. She's working for Wells Fargo and still won't give bunches of money. How come??? She's taken over MY bedroom and I hope she's lovin' it!!! Mom fixed the garage door opener so she can park in your space. I think that's cool. Mom's really enjoying having her around the house. It's great that we can care for one another. I believe you would agree. I've realized that the older I get the more I understand how you thought. Thanks!

I took Rebecca, Adam, Mom, Rhonda, Adam's friend Joe, Dan and his son Joshua to family reunion this year. I saw everybody. It was a great time. It was a record attendance. 107 if my memory is working. We camped out with every one. Mom and Rhonda went for the day only. I suspect they will spend the night next year. Next year it will be the weekend after my 50th birthday (I'm having a wake) so we can do both and yes I'm still a nut job. We stayed up and had a monster (white man) fire. I stayed sober and keep track of it. It rocked even if it was a little reckless. Oh well.

It's about time for me to get to work. The economy has really changed in the last year, but God continues to provide for me and Sharon. I'm only doing about one new house per month instead of 2 or 3, buts lots of remodels and additions. Last month was huge (biggest in 32 years) but it seems to me that the hay days are a few years out.

We are carrying on without you, but greatly miss your insights, passion and humor. Please know that you are greatly missed.

Write back soon.

Love

Randy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Uncle Randy for your kind thoughts about Jake and I. I miss grandpa everyday and It really ment a lot to me that you wrote this. I love you!
Jen